Sunday 10 May 2009

Funny little stories and crap translation.

Today I re-found two pieces of writing that I rather like.
The first is in the introduction to a book by Garth Nix, it's a story he wrote at the age of six.

"A boy went outside
it started raining coins
he picked them up"

Now, I'm not one for english work by year twos, but I think that's genuinely touching and excellent. It's simple but at the same time, meaningful.

-

The second piece of writing, I found in an old notebook of mine. I had noted down some funny signs posted around china that a friend had shown me, on her return from a trip out there.
In an airport, she had seen:

"Hurtle to adjust your beverage"

Does this mean "No drinks whilst flying through the air"? Or more "Throw yourself at a passer by, in the hope they'll quench your thirst"?

Another was found in a town.

"Hot an egg yolk parties"

This, I believe, is the equivalent of a spa, or an Avon party. Although, in china, they obviously find chicken ovules more theraputic than bath bombs and nail polish.

The last one is my favourite, positioned appropriately on a section of the great wall of china that had fallen into disrepair. It said precisely this:

"Slip and fall down carefully"

It's nice to know that they want you to be safe, whilst breaking both of your legs.

x

2 comments:

  1. Stumbled across you~enjoyed what you have done so far! Look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete