Saturday 23 May 2009

Fiddlers and passers-by

Have you seen the Mitsubishi Pajero? These over-sized chelsea tractors are the Japanese imports of the Mitsubishi Shogun. And unfortunately, the Japanese aren't tremendously clever with their names.

The aim was to name the car after a horse and because both the car and horses are so obviously spanish, the company wanted it to be horse in spanish.
The intended name was "Pajaro" to mean pony, which instead means parrot. And due to an apparent spelling error in Mitsubishi's admin department it was named the "Pajero" which litterally translated from spanish means "One who fiddles with himself". In other words, flash-cash 4x4 owners everywhere are driving around with the word "Wanker" painted across their car in big letters.

-

I've been fascinated recently at how many people we crash into and have encounters with in our day to day lives. People we've never met before and will probably never meet again.

Yesterday, travelling to see my girlfriend by train, I was asked "Excuse me, are you ok?" by a girl who could see the obvious look of puzzlement on my face at the announcement that the train I was to catch was only stopping at a station half way before the one i wanted to get off at. She told me that she was making the same journey and what was happening with train changes. She was very kind and we stuck together until after we were on the second train.

Another man, on my second train, offered his mobile phone for me to use, seeing that I was having trouble with signal on my own.

Call me soppy, but I was truely touched by how friendly and kind these people were.

After helping the gentleman with his bag off the train, I said thank you and left. Probably never to see him again.

What a shame.

x

2 comments:

  1. yes..YES.
    you're so right.
    it's so uncommon that people make comments to each other etc, but when it happens, it's so nice.
    i'd like to be able to just say hello, or compliment someone or whatever..
    i'm going to try it out when I go to my dad's on tuesday, seeing as i don't know anyone already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those moments too. :] xx

    ReplyDelete